This will totally shock those of you that know me personally, but I have a wicked head cold.
It was just a matter of time. I've been seeing about five to ten sick kids a day for three weeks. About 75% of them have some type of nasty virus which affects the respiratory tract, while the other 25% have some type of nasty virus which affects the intestinal tract; so, I guess if I was going to catch a virus, I'd rather have this one.
Anyway the main thing that is bad about it is that I have two choices: 1) feel totally spaced out due to the virus or 2) feel totally spaced out due to the only medicines which give me even minor relief from the virus. I've been alternating between the two and I can't decide which leads to more productive studying. Every time I pick up the pills it's like, "Well, would I rather have my main insight into diabetes be "uhhhhhhhhhhhhwha?" or would I rather have it be 'uggggggSNORTuuurhhhhhhh'?"
This whole event has made me much more nervous about having my pediatric rotation in Nov/Dec. From what I've heard, peds during this particular period becomes like a frickin' flea market of RSV (respiratory syncytial virus, a super nasty respiratory tract infection), rotavirus (Severe diarrhea and vomiting! Yay!), and various other unappealing and highly contagious infections. Hopefully my pathetic excuse for an immune system (that's right, immune system--you heard me. I called you pathetic. If you want some respect, take a moment and contemplate why you go into full red alert over dust mite poop but roll out the frickin' red carpet for Mr. Nasty Flu) will manage to scrape together enough sense among its billion cells or so to remember whatever I have now and keep me from getting it again. But I'm not holding my breath. Which is good, because it's not easy to breathe when your nose is completely blocked off and draining into your throat, choking you. Stupid virus.
Anyway, otherwise, things are going well. I feel pretty good about studying for Family Medicine because it's kind of like a sneak preview for the rest of the year: peds, medicine, OB/Gyn, psych--it's all here. Just laying good ground work for everything that's ahead. It's great! (Psst: does that stuff sound convincing to you? 'Cause it's not really making studying sound any better to me. Stupid hypertension drugs!!) My husband just got his residency applications submitted, which is a load off his mind and mine, plus I don't have to listen to him whine about them anymore. He finishes his current rotation Friday, after which he will be free to be my personal servant until Christmas. Just kidding. Kind of. Actually, he will have to study for Step 2 of the boards, and then he will have residency interviews and stuff, but I trust that there will be lots of servitude blended in. Right, honey?
As for me, I have one more week of Family Medicine--my exam is on Friday. The exam, as I mentioned, consists of a multiple-choice test, a videotaped interview and exam on an actor playing a patient, and a brief written/oral exam. Allow me to express my feelings about this exam: YIPE. I mean, videotape? Ugh. My theory is that all the doctors get together and have a big party, and show bloopers from people's exams where they inadvertently poke the actor in the eye or knock him unconscious with a reflex hammer and then sit down on the floor and cry. In any case, I will try to update the blog with details of that super fun experience once I am done.
The following week I have a one week course where you learn about acute care--mostly resuscitation stuff. Then I get a glorious vacation before starting peds. I can't wait... I can almost smell the vomit now.