Sunday, September 9, 2007

Cough, cough, fever

Kind of like duck, duck, goose, only with more mucous. That pretty much sums up Family Medicine.

Actually, I like it. I don't know that it is for me, for a lifetime, but for now it's good. There's a lot of variety, and good practice for general and focused H&Ps (history and physical). My preceptor is very very nice. I do have to admit that, unfortunately, I feel that the slope of my learning curve has really leveled out. That could be because I'm studying way less than I was on Surgery. Why? Well, first, the textbook we are supposed to use pretty much blows. Also, in contrast to Surgery, with Family, you don't have The Fear.

The Fear is very important, and it isn't just about the Socratic method, pimping, or angry, angry surgeons yelling at you. It's also about having a lot of patients who might just die on you if you don't figure out what is going on and how to fix it. It gives the whole thing a sense of urgency that frankly is lacking in Family Medicine, an urgency you can use very well to fuel your studying.

Don't get me wrong, there is a ton to learn--for example, I'm trying to remember at least three major medications and what they're used for (I try not to set my standards too high). There is a ton of breadth, but not a lot of depth, and I think that works against my disposition a little bit. Anyway, writing about this has made me feel that I should really go and get some studying done. So I will. That's a very, very important thing to remember in 3rd year: when you get the urge to study, for whatever reason, run with it. Just remember to put down the scissors.

No comments: