Thursday, August 9, 2007

Ow... my brain

You know how there are signs at the gas station that tell you not to "top off" your tank? Well, I think I've topped off my brain.

It seems that no matter how much reading or studying I do there is actually MORE that I don't know. It's like when you are packing up your house and you spend two days putting stuff in boxes but somehow now there is still the same amount of stuff unpacked, so you pack more frantically, and now there is EVEN MORE STUFF UNPACKED THAN WHEN YOU STARTED PACKING AHHHHHHHHHHH.

Lately I don't know if I have any more boxes upstairs, if you know what I mean.

I have to admit, it's all pretty interesting. With as much studying as I've been doing, none of it has been nearly as painful as other stages of this process. Basically everything I'm trying to learn now is clinical, it's about taking care of people, and I really like that. Also, it's amazing actually seeing diseases and syndromes that somewhere along the line you convinced yourself existed only in books. It's amazing seeing how the new innovations in care over the last few years are actually being used to save people's lives, and seeing what new things are on the horizon.

I could go on and on, but I can feel details about primary hyperparathyroidism leaking out of my ears as I type, and I need that for tomorrow, when I'm on overnight call. Overnight call is often a prime time for pimping, because it is even funnier when medical students not only don't know the answer, but we cry. If you come up with any new innovations in brain drain plugs, definitely let me know, if I can remember why I needed it.

No comments: