Monday, August 6, 2007

I don't know where time is, but it ain't on my side

Okay, this is going to be short. Why? Check out the title.

How in God's name to surgeons do this?!? It is NUTS. I mean, I haven't even had hours that were that bad and I feel like I'm barely scraping by. To be fair, I do have to do a whole truckload of reading and studying and other random busywork stuff when I'm not in the hospital, but still. Interns have it a lot worse, hour-wise. To give you a more specific idea of the hours I'm talking about, I have been spending 12-16 hours a day, an average of 6 days a week in the hospital. Then I need another 1-3 hours of studying time each day. My schedule has me working the next 13 days straight; then I get one day off, then work six more days. Then the exam. Included within those spans are two nights of all-night call where I could get five hours of sleep or zero sleep.

Also, I have to take the shelf test in less than three weeks, and that is freaking me out. The shelf test is a big, really hard, national exam you take at the end of each clinical clerkship--so, two weeks from Friday, I'll be taking the surgery shelf. Lots of people say it's the hardest one, but I don't listen to them. I listen to my brain, which is shrieking: AHHHHHHHH, we will never pass this exam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Okay, in any case, I have to go get some work done so I can get more than six hours of sleep tonight. Your final random thought: don't you think that Daniel Radcliffe always wears WAY too much blush in interviews?

No comments: