Monday, June 30, 2008

And the Angels Sang...

As I FINISHED 3RD YEAR OF MEDICAL SCHOOL.

I cannot wrap my mind properly around that concept. I am just starting a nice, long vacation, but I had to go out of town immediately after taking my shelf test, so it isn't really real that I don't have to go back to work as soon as I get home. And beyond that, it isn't real that I don't have any more shelf exams, and that the pressure is generally much lower in almost every way.

But not to fear. I will still have plenty of things to complain about, because what I DO have starting me in the face is:
1. My university's clinical skills exam (standardized patients)
2. Step 2 CK (step 2 of the boards, the written part)
3. Step 2 CS (step 2 of the boards, the standardized patient part)
4. And most terrifyingly... RESIDENCY APPLICATIONS, INTERVIEWS and MATCHING!!

In any case, I will try to gather my thoughts about 3rd year as I max it and relax it. Too bad I have about three months worth of real life work which has accumulated over my past few rotations. Until then, may you know the joy of a well-earned vacation and the satisfaction of using it to catch up on Little House on the Prairie episodes. Oh, Pa...

1 comment:

DK said...

Step two was better than step one, or, for that matter, step three. I have no insight to offer on the CK exam, because I'm too old to have taken that.

The match will suck the life out of you if you let it, but there's relatively easy ways to make sure it doesn't. I'm happy to get coffee (decaf, if you prefer. Or, you know, margaritas, depending on what's going on with you these days) and chat about any of this if you'd like. Also happy to read personal statements, etc, etc. Just shoot me an email.

Sorry medicine sucked. But CONGRATS on being DONE with 3rd year!