Sunday, October 21, 2007

Back to clinic... now how do I use this stethamathingy again?

I start Pediatrics tomorrow morning after having a super fantastic three week vacation, and I have to say, I'm pretty nervous. I feel like I have actually forgotten stuff, as weird as that sounds. It's amazing how quickly that pile of information starts to drift away.

I have high hopes for this rotation... I think I will really enjoy it, if I can somehow get back into the constantly working mode I was in before. For the rest of the year, my longest vacation will be one week, and I hate to say it but I think that is for the best. My poor brain needs as much help as it can get.

In other news it looks like I am going to have to have an upper endoscopy, and this brings up something I've been thinking about: how much harder it is to be sick or to be a patient when you've seen the behind-the-scenes action. I know for a fact I would not be one tenth as freaked out at the prospect of an upper endoscopy if I hadn't seen one done. But I have. And I am totally dreading it.

The other part of this is that I know all of the Really Bad Things they have to rule out. You start to be able to look at yourself from the outside, as if you were just one of your patients. It is not a good place to be, believe me. Anyway, I am hoping to get this over with as soon as possible and I will write all about it. After all, it's important to remember that the people we treat are no different than us. They need compassion, understanding, and most of all, Versed.

Lots of Versed.

Hopefully, all I'll write about is how I can't remember a thing about the upper endoscopy. In the meantime, I have to go get started on some reading. You see, unlike most of my classmates, I don't remember jack about EKGs or electrolytes or acid-base balance, so I have to relearn these things in addition to learning all of the other mounds of stuff for this rotation. So off I go, to read about bundle branch block and dream of being the person with the huge camera being stuffed down my throat... and an IV full of Versed.

No comments: